Bowie Invitational Tournament Rules
The tournament is USA Hockey sanctioned and is played under USA Hockey rules.
Additional tournament rules are specified herein.
1) The Tournament Director has absolute authority to rule on any matter regarding the tournament. This includes on-ice and in the locker room. An Ice Arena Director will be present at all times during the tournament. In absence of the Tournament Director, the Ice Arena Director will have the authority to rule on tournament matters.
2) All teams must be registered with USA Hockey. A copy of your USA Hockey Official Team Roster Form 1-T must be submitted to the registration table before participating in the tournament.
3) Equipment must meet USA Hockey regulations. All players must wear chin straps. Mouthpieces are required for Peewees through Midgets. Strict compliance will be enforced.
4) Teams will play a minimum of 3 games. The number of games played will depend on the amount of teams in each bracket.
5) Points will be awarded as follows:
· 2 points for game win
· 1 point for game tie
· 0 points for game loss
6) Round-robin play will consist of (3) 12-minute periods for Squirts and (3) 13-minute periods for Peewees - Midgets. All time is stop time. Warm-ups are 3 minutes. There will be no overtime in preliminary rounds. Seeding for playoff games will be determined strictly by points awarded in preliminary rounds.
7) Penalties for game play will be as follows:
1.5-minute minor 2-minute minor
4-minute major 5-minute major
8-minute misconduct 10-minute misconduct
a) A major for fighting will result in one-game suspension.
b) Any coach or manager, who enters the ice during a game for any reason, other than injury, will be suspended for one game.
c) A match penalty to any coach, player, or manager will result in expulsion from the tournament.
d) A total of 5 penalties by a player in a game will result in a one-game suspension.
e) A total of 15 penalties to a team in a game will result in a one-game suspension to the head coach.
8) Teams will qualify for championship games based on total points in round-robin play. In the case of a tie in the standings, the tiebreaker procedures are as follows:
· Head-to-head results
· Goals differential (goals for minus goals against) - 5 goal max in differential for each game will be considered
· Fewest penalty minutes
10) Playoff and championship games will consist of (3) 12-minute periods for Squirts and (3) 13-minute periods for Peewees – Midgets. All time is stop time. Warm-ups are 3 minutes.
· If a playoff or championship game ends in a tie, the game shall proceed to a 5-minute 5 vs. 5 "sudden death" overtime period.
· Any penalty that has not expired at the end of regulation will carry over into the overtime period.
· If tied after the 5-minute overtime period, the teams will proceed to a shootout consisting of a Best-of-Five series.
· Coaches must submit their shootout order to the scorekeeper prior to the start of the game. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of the game.
· The visiting team will shoot first and alternate thereafter.
· All levels will start from center-ice.
· Five players from each team shall participate and will proceed in the order selected by the coaches.
· All players are eligible to participate unless they are serving a major penalty, 8 or 10-minute misconduct, game misconduct, or match penalty.
· Each team will be given 5 shots, unless the outcome is determined earlier in the shootout. If tied after 5, the shootout will proceed to a “sudden death” format similar to the one used in Round-Robin play.
No player may shoot twice until everyone who is eligible has shot.
11) Running time will occur if there is a 6-goal lead heading into the 3rd period for all games (Round-Robin, Playoffs and Championship). The clock will stop in the following instances:
- When the 6-goal lead disappears
- Goals scored
- Any other circumstances the referees deem necessary
12) The Tournament Director or Ice Arena Director can shorten the 3rd period of any game when less than twice the period length remains in the ice slot at the beginning of the 3rd period. The 3rd period will be half the curfew time remaining at the beginning of the period, (ex. If there are only 10 minutes remaining in the ice slot, the 3rd period will be 5 minutes.
13) Parents or spectators who interfere with any game or become rowdy in any way will be immediately ejected from the arena and prohibited from the remainder of the tournament. All players, coaches, and spectators are to remember to conduct themselves appropriately at all times both on and off the ice. The USA Hockey “Zero Tolerance Rule” will be strictly enforced.
14) A maximum of four USA Hockey certified coaches per bench. Non-uniformed players are not allowed on the bench or in the penalty box at any time. An injured, uniformed player may sit on the bench but must have his/her helmet on at all times. Penalty box officials are required for each team and must be at least 18 years of age.
15) Electronic communication devices between the players’ bench and spectators are prohibited. Laser pointers, air horns, sirens, whistles, and cowbells are also prohibited.
16) Locker room assignments will be posted. Team managers should lock their locker room while their team is on the ice. The Bowie Hockey Club and Bowie Ice Arena are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged equipment. It is the responsibility of each team to clean the locker room after each game. The locker rooms will be inspected after each game by the ice rink staff. Any damage found to the locker room will be dealt with severely and may result in expulsion from the tournament.
17) Trophies will be presented to the teams reaching the Championship game at each level.